[arch-dev-public] [signoff] kernel26-2.6.38.3-1

Andreas Radke a.radke at arcor.de
Thu Apr 21 01:16:25 EDT 2011

Am Mon, 18 Apr 2011 07:29:20 +0200
schrieb Tobias Powalowski <t.powa at gmx.de>:

> Am Montag 18 April 2011 schrieb Ionuț Bîru:
> > On 04/17/2011 09:34 PM, Tobias Powalowski wrote:
> > > Hi guys,
> > > please signoff 2.6.38.3 series for both arches.
> > >
> > > greetings
> > > tpowa
> >
> > now the booting messages from initrd and dmesg are more verbose.
> >
> > Is it intended?
> yes, i think this is because i enabled printk_time option.
> That was a feature request on bug tracker.
>
> greetings
> tpowa

Once again somebody request something and we don't think about it
and enable it without any need...

arch/x86/Kconfig.debug

The configuration item CONFIG_EARLY_PRINTK:

    prompt: Early printk
    type: tristate
    depends on: CONFIG_EMBEDDED
    defined in arch/x86/Kconfig.debug
    found in Linux Kernels: from 2.6.0 release still available on
    2.6.38 release

Help text

Write kernel log output directly into the VGA buffer or to a serial
port.

This is useful for kernel debugging when your machine crashes very
early before the console code is initialized. For normal operation it
is not recommended because it looks ugly and doesn't cooperate with
klogd/syslogd or the X server. You should normally N here, unless you
want to debug such a crash.

I suggest to revert this for the next build.

PS: Just had another full freeze without any log entries. I blame
nouveau drm kernel module. Even without nouveau-dri my nv44 seems a bit
unstable since .38 series :(
I'm probably forced to use the closed driver from now on and I don't
expect upstream devs to care much about my old card.

-Andy