[arch-dev-public] [signoff] kernel26-2.6.38.3-1

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Thu Apr 21 06:17:04 EDT 2011

On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 7:16 AM, Andreas Radke <a.radke at arcor.de> wrote:
> Am Mon, 18 Apr 2011 07:29:20 +0200
> schrieb Tobias Powalowski <t.powa at gmx.de>:
>> yes, i think this is because i enabled printk_time option.
>
> Once again somebody request something and we don't think about it
> and enable it without any need...
>
> The configuration item CONFIG_EARLY_PRINTK:

CONFIG_PRINTK_TIME is not the same as CONFIG_EARLY_PRINTK. The former
is very useful to make sense of dmesg (otherwise you dont know what
messages "belong together") and it should not have any negative side
effects (I have been using it for years). The latter might be, as you
say, annoying and should perhaps be removed, it is not new in this
release though (it is from before the start of the packages repo)...

Cheers,

Tom