[arch-dev-public] blacklisting issue, perhaps initscripts or kernel 3.0 related

Dave Reisner d at falconindy.com
Mon Aug 1 11:23:16 EDT 2011

On Mon, Aug 01, 2011 at 05:19:11PM +0200, Thomas Bächler wrote:
> Am 01.08.2011 16:48, schrieb Aaron Griffin:
> >>
> >> Preservation of order has not been working for several initscripts releases.
> >

> > Order preservation is doable via modprobe configs. See
> > /etc/modprobe.d/usb-load-ehci-first.conf for an example.
>
> Indeed, but it is not pretty.

It's also not recommended by upstream, as per modprobe.conf(5). We
shouldn't make any guarantees about module load order. What's the
problem we're trying to solve with this juggling? Is this bandaiding and
issue that should be taken upstream to the kernel folk? Or, is this some
pre-emptive attack against hardware being claimed by the wrong module,
in which case we should be leaving it up the user to figure out which
module they want to use...

dave