[arch-dev-public] Git for the repos

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Wed Aug 24 18:15:58 EDT 2011

> Am 24.08.2011 22:53, schrieb Florian Pritz:
>> So it came up in IRC again and I'll try to sum up the discussion:

Thanks to everyone involved with pushing this. I can not wait to get
rid of SVN. Doing anything but the most trivial operations is a huge
PITA.

A few comments below:

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 11:37 PM, Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org> wrote:
> 1) We have two 'package repository' folders, one for the developers, one
> for the TUs.
>
> In there, we have one repository per pkgbase, which contains PKGBUILD
> and other files. You can use all the magic and awesomeness of git in
> there, have several branches and whatnot. These repositories get a new
> tag $pkgname-$pkgrel for each release.

Was this a typo? I guess the tag should be $pkgver-$pkgrel (as
$pkgname is the name of the repo, so not needed, and without $pkgver
the tag is not unique).

> 2) We have 'repository repositories' (nice name, hah), one for the devs,
> one for the TUs (or maybe one for both). In there, we have a folder for
> each package db/repository. These folders will contain a file for each
> pkgbase that is currently in the repository. The contents of the file
> should be a reference to the related package repository and the current
> version (tag).
>
> These git repositories would only be automatically be maintained by
> dbscripts.

This sounds reasonable.

My only additional comment is that maybe using git submodules would be
useful for these "repository repositories"? If every package
repository is a submodule of the repository repository (need a better
name for this), then git would keep for us exactly the information you
outlined above (if I understood it correctly).

The added advantage of using submodules would be that people could
checkout the 'repository repositry' (again, needs a new name) without
checking out any package repositories, and then use "git submodule
update $pkgname" to get just the package repositories they want (in
the same way we use "svn update $pkgname" today).

Cheers,

Tom

PS
There should be ponies!