[arch-dev-public] Git for the repos

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Wed Aug 24 19:24:40 EDT 2011

On Thu, 2011-08-25 at 00:15 +0200, Tom Gundersen wrote:
> Thanks to everyone involved with pushing this. I can not wait to get
> rid of SVN. Doing anything but the most trivial operations is a huge
> PITA.

IMHO the only nice features I like from git that aren't in SVN are
bisect and the possibility to work on a local copy without being online.
The first part is something we don't use for packaging, the 2nd part is
not a very big issue if we make our server faster.
Right now we're offloading a lot of crap to a new server, so gerolde
should get faster that way. Besides speeding up gerolde, there's another
thing that makes it slow for SVN: SSH. Make a master login to gerolde
and piggy-back your SVN+SSH connections on that, logins are much faster
that way.