[arch-dev-public] Adding multi arch, pkgver and/or pkgrel support in repo scripts

Pierre Schmitz pierre at archlinux.de
Thu Feb 3 06:23:42 EST 2011

On Thu, 3 Feb 2011 05:05:11 -0500, Eric Bélanger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Lately, I've started to look into adding support in the dbscripts for
> splitted packages with mixed arches (i686/x86_64 and any) and/or
> different pkgver, pkgrel. Depending on my free time and how much time
> it takes, it could take a while though. I'm just writing to make sure
> no-one else is doing it so we don't duplicate work.  If anyone wants
> to help out, let me know.  We'll split the work.

I had put some thoughts into supporting "any" split packages. So far
two points need to be looked into:
1) ensure all arches have the same pkgbuild
2) check_splitpkgs: get correct arch for svnnames
Feel free to send me you ideas or some rough patches for a review.

But: I don't like supporting different pkgver or pkgrel for split
packages. Imho this is a feature of makepkg that has issues by design:
* Source packages with the same file name no longer point to the same
packages
* The repos subdir in svn (might) no longer contains the PKGBUILD that
a package was built with
* Same issue with ABS which is no longer in sync with the actual binary
packages
* Parsing the correct pkgver and pkgrel of a sub packages is between
hard and nearly impossible
* We only have one build function; so treating split packages as one
unit is best

In general this would make things more complicated and introduces quite
some points of failure. So I don't think its worth to try to implement
this atm. Which packages would benefit from that a lot?

There are still some problems with split packages in dbscripts and
those are complex enough; so we should be really careful and not make
things even worse.

Greetings,

Pierre