[arch-dev-public] MySQL 5.5

Ángel Velásquez angvp at archlinux.org
Sat Feb 5 10:13:42 EST 2011

2011/2/5 Pierre Schmitz <pierre at archlinux.de>:
> On Fri, 4 Feb 2011 18:22:08 -0200, Ángel Velásquez wrote:

>>> Don't you want to run upgrade after restart?
>>>

>> pacman -Syu && /etc/rc.d/mysqld restart && mysql-upgrade
>
> I don't think it's that easy as the restart could/will fail. You also
> need to adjust the my.cnf. I had some options in there that are no
> longer valid.
>
> --
> Pierre Schmitz, https://users.archlinux.de/~pierre

Adding Pierre's Opinion

Draft:

MySQL 5.5 is now in [extra]. This is a major version upgrade from the
5.1 editions previously in the repositories. Archive, Blackhole, and
Federated engine support are no longer included in this package, since
they are not heavily used.

After upgrading the MySQL package and restarting the database, you
will need to run `mysql_upgrade` to ensure your tables, views and
stored procedures are up to date and compatible with MySQL 5.5.

Is always good to do a backup of your databases, before doing the
update, you will also need to adjust my.cnf options in order to make
it compatible with 5.5 release, <a
href="http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/upgrading-from-previous-series.html">more
info available here</a>

End of Draft

I've delayed the update until the draft is completely approved, but I
hope to do it today.

Cheers

--
Angel Velásquez