[arch-dev-public] Vi package

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Thu Feb 10 11:52:16 EST 2011

On Thu, 2011-02-10 at 17:24 +0200, Ionuț Bîru wrote:
> we did had vi being a stripped vim package in the past. We got rid of
> it
> because upstream vim started to not helping arch users because "it
> was
> broken". That impression was given by our users who didn't understand
> that python and other crap that vim support is in vim package and not
> in vi.
>
> now the same situation is now. Some users don't understand that vi is
> nvi and what they want is in vim.

I don't think we should go back to a fucked vim package with /etc/virc
like we had it in the past. We switched from that to nvi, which fucked
up files if they contained unicode stuff (it would just segfault in the
middle of a save operation, leaving you with a broken file).
After that, we decided to go for busybox, which works fairly well as vi,
is maintained, but doesn't do anything that looks like vim.

IMHO vi is totally useless on most systems. I prefer to uninstall it and
do ln -s vim /usr/bin/vi instead. Users who complain about vi being too
limited should do that too.