[arch-dev-public] syslog-ng package

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Thu Jan 6 04:49:42 EST 2011

Am 06.01.2011 03:01, schrieb Allan McRae:
>> There is also a 2 year old feature request in the bugtracker to
>> replace syslog-ng by rsyslog (currently in community repo):
>> https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/12314

There is a trend of implementing everything just because someone
requests it. I have yet to see any good reason to switch away from
syslog-ng as default. This is Arch. If you really think syslog-ng
doesn't do it for you, just install rsyslogd. What does the default
matter to you if you know better anyway?

If you ask people, I bet you'll get as many votes for rsyslogd as for
syslog-ng. You'll probably also get even more people saying they don't care.

> Good point.   Anyone want to take a look at syslog-ng vs rsyslog?
>
> FWIW, our friends over at Arch Server have taken the step of having
> rsyslog in their 'base' group.

And why did they do this?