[arch-dev-public] syslog-ng package

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Thu Jan 6 05:30:54 EST 2011

On 06/01/11 19:49, Thomas Bächler wrote:
> Am 06.01.2011 03:01, schrieb Allan McRae:
>>> There is also a 2 year old feature request in the bugtracker to
>>> replace syslog-ng by rsyslog (currently in community repo):
>>> https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/12314
> There is a trend of implementing everything just because someone
> requests it.

Obviously not a very big trend given this bug has sat there for two years...

> I have yet to see any good reason to switch away from
> syslog-ng as default. This is Arch. If you really think syslog-ng
> doesn't do it for you, just install rsyslogd. What does the default
> matter to you if you know better anyway?
> If you ask people, I bet you'll get as many votes for rsyslogd as for
> syslog-ng. You'll probably also get even more people saying they don't care.
>> Good point.   Anyone want to take a look at syslog-ng vs rsyslog?
>> FWIW, our friends over at Arch Server have taken the step of having
>> rsyslog in their 'base' group.
> And why did they do this?

I'd assume it was because most other "server" distros are using that (or
the old syslogd) so this would be the more familiar tool for people
looking for a server distro.

Anyway, the whole point of this thread is that we need a developer to
maintain a system logging package.  If whoever steps up to do that wants
to use rsyslog over syslog-ng, then I would not object...