[arch-dev-public] Server trash cleanup

Pierre Schmitz pierre at archlinux.de
Sat Jan 29 18:41:00 EST 2011

On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 15:11:16 -0600, Dan McGee wrote:
> Things we don't truly need, AFAIK:
>
> * gerolde: all of /srv/ftp/archive/pkgs
> * gerolde: /srv/ftp/iso and /srv/ftp/archive/iso
>   What is our policy on this stuff? Nostalgic, sure, but usable or
> necessary? We have all sorts of full and base images, scsi-specific,
> etc. but outside of keeping arch-0.1 do we really want to appear like
> we care about previous releases?

Yes, we can save about 16GB with removing the whole archive. Nothing in
there is of use imho. And even if in doubt we have a whole history of
sources.

> * gerolde: /srv/cvs

We never imported those to svn; so with removing those we'll loose some
history. But again I don't think there is anything of value in there.

> * sigurd: Unfortunately not a lot here to kill, and our disk is
> hovering in that 85% range.
> * sigurd: /srv/cvs
>
> Pierre, can we adjust CLEANUP_KEEP down to 30? That is still a lot of
> time and would at least reduce the burden of space of some frequently
> updated packages.

Sure. Even just two weeks should be enough time to notice that you have
accidentally removed a needed package.

> These are all suggestions, I am not opposed to keeping things if
> people have a valid reason. But this might also make any backup
> picture a bit more clear and give us more room and leeway to package
> some bigger things which seems to be the trend lately.

I'd rather move some spare bytes to gudrun than adding another huge
game package with low usage to the repos. ;-)