[arch-dev-public] [prerelease] util-linux-2.20-rc1
teg at jklm.no
Fri Jul 29 18:43:00 EDT 2011
A new and very exciting release of util-linux is imminent. Even though
we only have an -rc1 so far, I thought it might be worthwhile to put
it out there so people can try it out (in case we want anything fixed
before the final release):
I enabled libmount support in mount, but this will probably be
reverted before the final release unless we have good reason to
believe it to be safe.
- agetty gets most of the features from mingetty.
- dmesg gets lots of new filtering capabilities
- mountpoint moves here from sysvinit (we probably have to manually
remove it from the sysvinit package).
We still patch hwclock to move the adjustment file from /etc to /var.
I'm not a big fan of this, and hope to have a backwards compatible
patch to sort things out before 2.21 is released.
Util-linux 2.20 Release Notes
- mingetty features have been merged to agetty
- supports new command line option "--all-tasks" to set or retrieve the
scheduling attributes of all the tasks (threads) for a given PID
- supports new command line options: --clear, --console-on, --console-off,
--ctime, --decode, --facility=<list>, --level=<list>, --show-delta,
--notime, --kernel and --userspace
- improved dialogs to be more user-friendly
findmnt(8), partx(8), lsblk(8)
- support new command line option "--pairs" to enable key="value"
- supports new command line options "--poll" and "--timeout" to monitor
- supports human-readable scheduling class names, for example:
ionice -c best-effort $PID
- supports new command line option "-q <sigval>" to use sigqueue(2)
- supports real-time signals in formats RT<n>, RTMIN+<n> and RTMAX-<n>
- the API officially stable
- supports new columns:
TYPE - device type
RQ-SIZE - queue request size
STATE - device state (e.g. running, suspended)
DALIGN - discard alignment offset
DISC-GRAN - discard granularity
DISC-MAX - discard max bytes
DISC-ZERO - discard zeroes data
- supports new command line option "-D" to print device discard topology
- improved support for s390 boxes
- supports minix version 3
- this NEW COMMAND is libmount based re-implementation of mountpoint(1) from
- this set of deprecated utils has been REMOVED
- support new command line option "--timeout" to specify write timeout to
terminals in seconds.
It's not supported to link with external (e.g. from e2fsprogs) libblkid and
libuuid any more.
More information about the arch-dev-public