[arch-dev-public] [prerelease] util-linux-2.20-rc1

Dave Reisner d at falconindy.com
Fri Jul 29 19:28:25 EDT 2011

On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 12:43:00AM +0200, Tom Gundersen wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> A new and very exciting release of util-linux is imminent. Even though
> we only have an -rc1 so far, I thought it might be worthwhile to put
> it out there so people can try it out (in case we want anything fixed
> before the final release):

Sweet! It was my feeling that we should not throw this in testing, but
I'm really glad you're making it available.

> I enabled libmount support in mount, but this will probably be
> reverted before the final release unless we have good reason to
> believe it to be safe.

To my knowledge, we're still waiting on providers of mount helpers
(samba and NFS in particular) to rewrite their helpers to use libmount
for parsing /proc/self/mountinfo rather than /etc/mtab.

> Major changes:
>
> - agetty gets most of the features from mingetty.
> - dmesg gets lots of new filtering capabilities
> - mountpoint moves here from sysvinit (we probably have to manually
> remove it from the sysvinit package).

I've not enabled mountpoint in util-linux-git, but I include it in the
build for myself. Its a drop-in replacement, with a few extra, but minor
bells and whistles. I'd be in favor of juggling this when the time
comes.