[arch-dev-public] [signoff] glibc-2.14 toolchain build

Evangelos Foutras foutrelis at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 19:21:58 EDT 2011

On 9 June 2011 00:58, Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org> wrote:
> On 09/06/11 07:20, Evangelos Foutras wrote:
>>
>> On 7 June 2011 13:18, Allan McRae<allan at archlinux.org>  wrote:
>>>
>>> The glibc-2.14 toolchain update is in [testing].  Here is a summary of
>>> the
>>> changes.
>>>
>>> glibc-2.14-1
>>>  - major version release
>>>  - add patch to fix libdl crash
>>
>> Looks like the glibc update will interfere with other rebuilds (e.g.:
>> Perl).
>>
>> At least my pidgin package is affected, and will give "/lib/libc.so.6:
>> version `GLIBC_2.14' not found" errors if moved to [extra] without
>> glibc being moved to [core] at the same time.
>>
>> What's the preferred course of action we take here? Rebuild affected
>> packages with the old glibc? Wait for glibc to move to [core] before
>> moving the Perl rebuilds?
>>

> I thought the perl rebuilds were done a long time before the glibc updated
> hit [testing], so they should be fine.

Indeed there were done, but I updated pidgin yesterday and pushed new
packages to both [testing] and [extra]. Below is the complete list of
packages in [testing] that reference the GLIBC_2.14 symbol:

==============================
[foutrelis at gerolde ~]$ echo -e "\n[testing]\n---------"; for pkg in
/srv/ftp/testing/os/x86_64/*.pkg.tar.xz; do xzcat $pkg | grep -Fq
GLIBC_2.14 && echo $(basename $pkg); done; echo -e
"\n[community-testing]\n-------------------"; for pkg in
/srv/ftp/community-testing/os/x86_64/*.pkg.tar.xz; do xzcat $pkg |
grep -Fq GLIBC_2.14 && echo $(basename $pkg); done

[testing]
---------
binutils-2.21-9-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz
finch-2.8.0-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz
gcc-4.6.0-7-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz
gcc-ada-4.6.0-7-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz
gcc-fortran-4.6.0-7-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz
gcc-go-4.6.0-7-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz
gcc-libs-4.6.0-7-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz
gcc-objc-4.6.0-7-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz
glibc-2.14-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz
libpurple-2.8.0-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz
lirc-utils-1:0.9.0-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz
mod_perl-2.0.5-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz
pidgin-2.8.0-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz
valgrind-3.6.1-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz

[community-testing]

I guess I need to fix pidgin and mod_perl. lirc-utils appears to be
affected too. (The rest are your packages so it's intended.)

I will try to do these tomorrow in about 20-22 hours.

> I would not expect glibc to move any time soon given the crash we are
> currently seeing.

That's going to be an issue if we need to use [testing] again while
glibc remains there. Just something to keep in mind.