[arch-dev-public] devtools problem

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 17:24:42 EDT 2011

On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 4:21 PM, Pierre Schmitz <pierre at archlinux.de> wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Mar 2011 06:50:30 +1000, Allan McRae wrote:
>> On 17/03/11 06:39, Pierre Schmitz wrote:
>>> You are right, I missed that. I have no idea how to fix the testing
>>> host with extra chroot problem. Is there a way to detect when running
>>> pacman-db-upgrade is needed?
>>
>> find /var/lib/pacman/local -name depends
>
> Stupid me. I should have looked at the upgrade script before; it's
> quite simple. I guess we could allways run that.

This will either take 5 seconds or 0 seconds to run; it never hurts to
just call it anyway.

>>> I guess to solve the first problem we would
>>> also need a pacman-db-downgrade script.
>>
>> pacman-db-downgrade would be basically impossible...  you could
>> symlink the desc file to depends in every local package database
>> directory.

I'm not following the logic in this thread at all. Won't this be a
problem for all of like 3 days here when the pacman version in
[testing] vs. non-testing is different? And after that who cares? Or
you could just upgrade your chroots and system to pacman 3.5 and it
wouldn't matter either; this package depends on nothing else in
[testing].

> If I'd add those link pacman 3.4 would be able to read the db, right?
> But once we update to 3.5 the upgrade script will ad all entries again.
> Maybe I'll need to modify the upgrade script to remove the desc files if
> they are just links.
>
> Btw: Do you guys plan the same for the db files? (merging deps and desc
> entries)

Eventually, but there is this crazy thing called backward
compatibility that we have to take into account...

-Dan