[arch-dev-public] Package signoffs page

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 11:37:19 EDT 2011

On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 10:31 AM, Tom Gundersen <teg at jklm.no> wrote:
>> * A daily summary email saying "hey gang, here are today's pending signoffs"
>
> Not so sure about this feature. It might cause too much noise to be useful.
>
> I suggest we still send out the initial signoff emails when we push
> the package to testing (with maybe some comments about changes), as It
> might still be useful to have a ML thread for discussing the update. I
> think it would be best to let the maintainer send a remainder email if
> it is needed, rather than sending them automatically.

My goal in adding this is to remove the need completely for those
update emails. I know I just delete them immediately anyway unless I
am doing an -Syu in the next 5 minutes and can check packages right
then and there.

For the 20% of signoff emails that have actual content, I agree- keep
sending those. But a once-a-day report is about as low-noise as it
gets compared to what we have now, I was thinking, and rarely does a
package need a <24h turnaround to get out of [testing] unless it is
security related (which would be another relatively straightforward
feature to implement- "send email now for this package" or whatever).

-Dan