[arch-dev-public] Package signoffs page

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 12:14:12 EDT 2011

On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 10:16 AM, Dan McGee <dpmcgee at gmail.com> wrote:
> Devs,
>
> This seems like a good time to get the ball fully rolling on the
> package signoffs page: https://www.archlinux.org/packages/signoffs/

Devs (and TUs, someone link this to them please),

We should be up and running now with a page that is 100% usable for
our current purposes. PLEASE give it a shot, without diving in this
will not gain steam and be used like it wasn't for 3 years.

Needs addressed:
* a package signoff can be marked as either 'known bad' or 'not
enabled'. These are distinct boolean options, setting either of them
will not allow signoffs.
* signoffs can be revoked.
* daily summary email on a per-testing-repo basis (preview coming soon)
* packager/maintainer notes for a given package in a testing repo that
are displayed with the signoff (see pacman on the page right now)
* full filtering options on page (if you're not using JavaScript,
you're silly, it is 2011, not 1994), and page never needs refreshing
when doing multiple signoffs

Two more questions/comments:
1. Dev/TU distinction- should anyone in either group be allowed to
sign off on any package?
  - pros: simpler, we trust each other anyway, you can see exactly who
signs off on what anyway so you aren't just relying on a magic 'Yes'
to show up.
  - cons: not sure? "security"? or the fact that in the past we
generally haven't crossed this boundary.
2. User signoffs- not even worried about this yet. Let the old
solution work for now, which is sending an email to arch-general.

-Dan