[arch-dev-public] [signoff] tzdata 2011m-1

Andreas Radke andyrtr at archlinux.org
Sat Oct 29 07:22:35 EDT 2011

Upstream update for the DST changes happening tonight and next week.
For the first time I've had a make check error

==> Starting check()...
awk -f checktab.awk africa antarctica asia australasia europe
northamerica southamerica zone.tab:260: missing comment
make: *** [check_tables] Error 1
make: Target `check' not remade because of errors.
==> ERROR: A failure occurred in check().

I've reported this to the tz mailing list. It shouldn't hold back the
bump.

Please do some quick test with "date" and give signoffs.

-Andy

Changes:

The file ...
	ftp://munnari.oz.au/pub/tzdata2011l.tar.gz
...is now available; this reflects changes circulated last week on the
time zone mailing list.

There are just 2 changes that cause different generated tzdata files
from zic, to Asia/Hebron and Pacific/Fiji - the possible change for
Bahia, Brazil is included, but commented out.  Compared with the diff I
sent out last week, this version also includes attributions for the
sources for the changes (in much the same format as ado used, but the
html tags have not been checked, verified, or used in any way at all,
so if there are errors there, please let me know.)

Unfortunately, there are no signatures, it turns out that I have not
used any form of PGP in so long that getting my keys into a form
where they're usable by gpg is somewhat of a challenge - so most
probably I'll just generate a new key (as was suggested, and which is
obviously the sane approach) for tz distributions - the down side is
that at least initially it isn't going to be signed (trusted) by anyone
at all...

To compensate for this lack of signatures, I'm appending (in this
message) a list of digest values, crypto hash function digests
generated by a number of different algorithms (all from the NetBSD
pkgsrc "digest" program). Those ought to give a fair degree of
confidence that the tarball has not been compromised, and by
distributing them in this message, essentially no way for anyone to
compromise the digest values (which is the one thing that a proper
signature would ensure).

Lastly, for now, because people seem to be mirroring
	ftp://munnari.oz.au/pub/oldtz/
I have included the current versions of the data & code files there,
as well as their normal home in ftp://munnari.oz.au/pub - previously
the oldtz directory contained only the obsolete tarballs.

But thanks to Joseph S. Myers, the oldtz directory now includes a few
extra archives that I had been missing, including the extremely elusive
tzcode2003b which had been replaced before I even new it existed (and
no, you don't really want it, it contained a fairly serious bug, which
is why it was replaced so quickly...)

kre

The file
	ftp://munnari.oz.au/pub/tzdata2011m.tar.gz
...is now available; this reflects changes circulated last week on the
time zone mailing list, with minor corrections as pointed out on the
list.

In particular, the typos in comments in the data (2011-11-17 should have
been 2011-10-17 as Alan Barrett noted, and spelling of Tiraspol that
Tim Parenti noted) have been fixed, and the change for Ukraine has been
made in all 4 Ukrainian zones, rather than just Kiev (again, thanks to
Tim Parenti, and also Denys Gavrysh)

In addition, I added Europe/Tiraspol to zone.tab.

This time, all the files have new version numbers...  (including the
files otherwise unchanged in 2011m that were changed in 2011l but
didn't get new version numbers there...)

Still no proper signatures, so once again, crypto digest values using
several algorithms (from the NetBSD pkgsrc digest program) are appended,
and can be used to verify that the file you fetched is the same as the
one I generated.

kre