[arch-dev-public] Libexec policy?

Jan Steffens jan.steffens at gmail.com
Sat Sep 3 04:05:10 EDT 2011

I've been wondering why we do not have /usr/libexec.

The GNOME packages apparently use --libexecdir=/usr/lib/$pkgname.
We've been running into problems with GNOME 3.2 because increasingly
more components depend on the libexecdir being the same across all
packages (we already had this problem in GDM, where we currently
patch).

The other option, used by a few other packages, seems to be using
--libexecdir=/usr/lib, which seems the next best solution to me. That
is, if /usr/libexec is not available.

Comments?