[arch-dev-public] Proposal to add burp to [extra].

Florian Pritz bluewind at xinu.at
Mon Apr 9 13:30:34 EDT 2012

On 09.04.2012 15:29, Thomas Dziedzic wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 1:21 AM, Rashif Ray Rahman <schiv at archlinux.org> wrote:
>> On 9 April 2012 01:39, Thomas Dziedzic <gostrc at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> To introduce the tool for everyone, burp is an aur uploader written by
>>> falconindy.
>>> burp @ the aur: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=37216
>>>
>>> I currently utilized burp in a script called repotoaur for devtools
>>> and have yet to submit the script to devtools.
>>> The patch that introduces it is at https://gist.github.com/2339399
>>> Repotoaur's purpose is to make it easy to move packages from the
>>> supported repos to the aur by introducing 2 commands to devtools
>>> called community2aur and extra2aur.
>>>
>>> In order for repotoaur to get included into devtools, burp will need
>>> to be in [extra].
>>> Since bringing an AUR uploader into the supported repos is a grey
>>> area, I would like to start a discussion on the appropriateness of
>>> bringing in burp.
>>>
>>> My opinion is that it would be fine since all it is, is an aur package
>>> uploader and nothing more.
>>> What do you guys think?
>>>

>> Why not just introduce the same functionality to dbscripts? That way we
>> have no grey, white or red area to hop between. We can have both an import
>> and export operation to bring in and drop packages from and to AUR.
>>

> I guess this could be an option.
> But it would feel awkward if implemented this way.
> db-scripts afaik is mainly to deal directly with the pacman db and my
> script doesn't do that.
> In fact, my script is partially copied and inspired from crossrepomove
> in the devtools which is why I think it belongs there.
> The only reason I would say to include it into db-scripts would be to
> avoid this conversation entirely.

I don't see a problem with having an uploader in the repo. The reason we
don't have a downloader is because it inevitably leads to people getting
lazy, ignoring all warnings and simply building without checking.

Could you add a feature to automatically unnotify and orphan the
uploaded package?

>> eg.:
>>
>> * db-drop, or db-remove --to-aur;
>>
>> * db-adopt $aur_pkg $destination_repo (this would do the necessary addition
>> to svn, packager can then check out the package as per usual)
>>

> I would like to avoid writing an adoption script for the aur that
> automatically moves aur pkgs to the supported repos because the
> quality of the pkg should be reviewed by a tu/dev before moving it
> since the aur has pkgs of varying quality.

+1. The "getting lazy" comment above also applies here. It might take
longer until it happens, but I'm pretty sure it would happen at some point.

--
Florian Pritz