[arch-dev-public] Proposal to add burp to [extra].

Thomas Dziedzic gostrc at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 15:04:06 EDT 2012

On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 12:30 PM, Florian Pritz <bluewind at xinu.at> wrote:
> On 09.04.2012 15:29, Thomas Dziedzic wrote:

>>> Why not just introduce the same functionality to dbscripts? That way we
>>> have no grey, white or red area to hop between. We can have both an import
>>> and export operation to bring in and drop packages from and to AUR.
>>>

>> I guess this could be an option.
>> But it would feel awkward if implemented this way.
>> db-scripts afaik is mainly to deal directly with the pacman db and my
>> script doesn't do that.
>> In fact, my script is partially copied and inspired from crossrepomove
>> in the devtools which is why I think it belongs there.
>> The only reason I would say to include it into db-scripts would be to
>> avoid this conversation entirely.
>
> I don't see a problem with having an uploader in the repo. The reason we
> don't have a downloader is because it inevitably leads to people getting
> lazy, ignoring all warnings and simply building without checking.
>
> Could you add a feature to automatically unnotify and orphan the
> uploaded package?

Unfortunately I don't see a good way of implementing it.
I don't know of any scripts or tools that allows orphaning and
unnotifying a package.
It would most likely have to be a separate script and would probably
reimplement most of burp but for orphaning and unnotifying.
I don't think adding a feature to burp would be desirable either
because it's *just* an aur uploader, and I like that :)