[arch-dev-public] [RFC] removing blacklisting of framebuffers from the udev package

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Wed Feb 15 02:57:10 EST 2012

On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 6:14 PM, Ionut Biru <ibiru at archlinux.org> wrote:
> instead of trying to avoid such issues, why not drop most of
> framebuffers from kernel instead?
>
> that's a more logical step.
>
> for example, fedora only has enabled in his kernel:
>
> config-generic:CONFIG_VIDEO_FB_IVTV=m
> config-generic:CONFIG_FB_I810=m
> config-generic:CONFIG_FB_I810_GTF=y
> config-generic:CONFIG_FB_I810_I2C=y
> config-generic:CONFIG_FB_TILEBLITTING=y
> config-generic:CONFIG_FB_VESA=y
> config-generic:CONFIG_FB_VGA16=m
> config-generic:CONFIG_FB_VIRTUAL=m
> config-generic:CONFIG_FB_VOODOO1=m
> config-generic:CONFIG_FB_EFI=y
> config-generic:CONFIG_FB_UDL=m

Following up on this. rivafb, nvidiafb and nouveau (which are all
enabled in our kernel) conflict. Unless there are good reasons not to,
I suggest at least disabling rivafb and nvidiafb. Until now they were
blacklisted by a modprobe config file, so people would have to mask
the blacklisting file in order to make them work.

Thomas, Tobias, what do you think?

Cheers,

Tom