[arch-dev-public] [RFC] removing blacklisting of framebuffers from the udev package

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Wed Feb 15 03:24:20 EST 2012

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 8:57 AM, Tom Gundersen <teg at jklm.no> wrote:
> this. rivafb, nvidiafb and nouveau (which are all
> enabled in our kernel) conflict. Unless there are good reasons not to,
> I suggest at least disabling rivafb and nvidiafb.

I asked about this in #nouveau (as I don't have much clue about nvidia
drivers/hardware):

[09:12] <tomegun> [...] any reason at all to keep the old
nvidiafb/rivafb modules around in a standard kernel, or are their
usecases covered well by nouveau these days?
[09:13] <airlied> should all be covered by nouveau really, maybe some
ppc corner cases
[...]
[09:17] <RSpliet> NV03 (nVidia Riva 128) is not supported by nouveau
[09:17] <RSpliet> dropping... well... probably rivafb, might cause
small problems on these ancient machines (1998)
[09:18] <tomegun> RSpliet: ah, ok. thanks
[09:19] <pq> or maybe they'd better use a generic fb driver...
[09:20] <RSpliet> pq: sounds sane too

-t