[arch-dev-public] kmod-3 in [testing]

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Fri Jan 6 07:17:37 EST 2012

Hi Dave,
On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 1:40 AM, Dave Reisner <d at falconindy.com> wrote:
> I've just dropped kmod-3 into testing as a replacement for
> module-init-tools. This is still a young project, but it has a lot of
> support from active people, and I (as well as Tom) have been working
> closely with upstream to flesh out and fix bugs.

As kmod is installed in /usr/bin, the symlinks from /sbin/modprobe et
al means that users with a separate /usr will be out in the cold.

Once the usr hook is out, this is all good, but in the meantime I
guess this is a bit too harsh? Maybe best to keep m-i-t until usr-hook
is ready, and install kmod without the symlinks?

Alternatively, we could move kmod to /, but then we'd have to make
sure there are no new deps we also need to move, and people would cry
when we move it back, so I'm sort of against that.

I guess the order of doing things should be:

kmod-3 (without symlinks)
util-linux (2.21 or backporting to 2.20, i guess we'll backport if
this is how we end up doing it)
mkinitcpio (with usr hook)
kmod-* (with symlinks, drop m-i-t)
udev-176

If possible I'd like to drop  m-i-t in good time before udev-176, so
we can clear up any bugs from that transition before they get muddled
together with the new udev release.

What do you think? If you agree I'll push a new util-linux today (if
you also remind me which patches you need backported ;-) ).

Cheers,

Tom