[arch-dev-public] kmod-3 in [testing]

Dave Reisner d at falconindy.com
Fri Jan 6 08:52:19 EST 2012

On Fri, Jan 06, 2012 at 01:17:37PM +0100, Tom Gundersen wrote:
> I guess the order of doing things should be:
>
> kmod-3 (without symlinks)
> util-linux (2.21 or backporting to 2.20, i guess we'll backport if
> this is how we end up doing it)
> mkinitcpio (with usr hook)
> kmod-* (with symlinks, drop m-i-t)
> udev-176

Let's leave kmod as is for now. We'll get the /usr mount functionality
ready for mkinitcpio and roll that out for testing after you repackage
u-l 2.20.1 for me.

> If possible I'd like to drop  m-i-t in good time before udev-176, so
> we can clear up any bugs from that transition before they get muddled
> together with the new udev release.

Well, the "possible" part is only made possibly by kmod-3 not throwing
any show stoppers. It hasn't... yet.

> What do you think? If you agree I'll push a new util-linux today (if
> you also remind me which patches you need backported ;-) ).

14f66ad6^..46c59b51: fixes bugs that Gerardo pointed out about mount not
behaving properly with regard to attempting canonicalization of pseudofs
mount sources. This is visible in the form of /run being mounted with a
source of /run (rather than just run). It also crops up in a few other
situations [1] and is is varying degrees of annoying, but isn't fatal.

d466c6a1: alters the -s, --fstab option of findmnt -- allows an optarg
to point to an arbitrary fstab. I'd like to leverage this for mounting
/usr from early userspace.

[1] http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-projects/2011-December/002297.html