[arch-dev-public] Keeping stuff in /bin, /lib, /sbin

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Mon Jan 30 06:53:28 EST 2012

Hi Allan,

Thanks for bringing this up.

On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 5:49 AM, Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org> wrote:
> Moving these out of /{s,}bin would make it a lot easier if _ONE DAY_ we
> do decide to merge /bin to /usr/bin.  And I mean _A LOT_ easier...
> Making changes like that is a real annoyance in a rolling release distro.

Regardless of an eventual /bin -> /usr/bin symlink, I would be in
favor of the following (purely in the interest of KISS):

All new binaries/libraries go to /usr/{bin,lib} no matter what. That
is no /lib, /bin, /sbin or /usr/sbin.

All current libraries should be moved from /lib to /usr/lib (but not
in a hurry, just when the relevant maintainers find the time).

All binaries should be moved to /usr/bin unless that would cause
inconveniences/problems (but not in a hurry, just when the relevant
maintainers find the time).

I guess that's the same as you had in mind?

Examples of  things that would not be affected (at least until an
eventual /bin -> /usr/bin move):

 * The dynamic linker

 * /lib/{firmware,udev,systemd,modprobe.d,modules,depmod.d} (anything non-.so)

 * /bin/{bash,sh,agetty...} (and other things that will cause horrible breakage)

Just my two cents,

Tom