[arch-dev-public] final leg of /lib removal

Dave Reisner d at falconindy.com
Tue Jul 3 13:48:03 EDT 2012

On Tue, Jul 03, 2012 at 07:36:48PM +0200, Tom Gundersen wrote:
> On Jul 3, 2012 5:41 PM, "Dave Reisner" <d at falconindy.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hey all,
> >
> > *** If you use a custom kernel, this will affect you. Please read the
> > big scary note at the end ***
> >
> > I'm taking today to work on the last roadblock before Allan can move
> > glibc out of /lib. This basically consists of a rebuild of:
> >
> > - kmod (to drop our local patch)
> > - linux, linux-lts (diff for linux here: http://paste.xinu.at/LLd/)
> > - all OOT kernel modules (for /usr/lib/modules/extramodules-*)
> > - bash-completion (temp patch until /lib is a symlink:
> http://paste.xinu.at/xEs/)
> >
> > I'll be doing this all locally to avoid building against allan's new
> > toolchain in [staging]. This will hopefully all hit [testing] by the
> > end of the day. You know where to find me if you have any questions or
> > angry rants.
> >
> > If you'd like to do some early testing, I'm leaving the rebuilt kmod and
> > kernel packages on gerolde:
> >
> > http://dev.archlinux.org/~dreisner/linux-usrmove/
> >
> > (i686 packages are lagging behind at the moment)
> >
> > BIG SCARY NOTE: Due to the kmod changes, this will BREAK all module
> > tools for users with their own kernels. If you do not rebuild your
> > kernel after pulling in the new kmod, you're going to have a bad time.
> > See the paste link above for inspiration.
>
> Is a rebuild really necessary? I thought all that was needed was to move
> the modules from / to /usr?
>
> Thanks for picking this up!
>
> I'll help out with testing in a couple of hours.
>
> Tom

As a (lazy) stop-gap measure, yes you probably could just move the module
dir. I offer no warranty on this method, though.

Testing on my side is going well so far... I've upgraded a bunch of VMs
with both the -ARCH and -lts kernels and haven't run into any unforeseen
problems yet.

Working on modules in extra now...