[arch-dev-public] final leg of /lib removal

Dave Reisner d at falconindy.com
Tue Jul 3 20:55:31 EDT 2012

On Tue, Jul 03, 2012 at 11:41:08AM -0400, Dave Reisner wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> *** If you use a custom kernel, this will affect you. Please read the
> big scary note at the end ***
>
> I'm taking today to work on the last roadblock before Allan can move
> glibc out of /lib. This basically consists of a rebuild of:
>
> - kmod (to drop our local patch)
> - linux, linux-lts (diff for linux here: http://paste.xinu.at/LLd/)
> - all OOT kernel modules (for /usr/lib/modules/extramodules-*)
> - bash-completion (temp patch until /lib is a symlink: http://paste.xinu.at/xEs/)
>
> I'll be doing this all locally to avoid building against allan's new
> toolchain in [staging]. This will hopefully all hit [testing] by the
> end of the day. You know where to find me if you have any questions or
> angry rants.
>
> If you'd like to do some early testing, I'm leaving the rebuilt kmod and
> kernel packages on gerolde:
>
> http://dev.archlinux.org/~dreisner/linux-usrmove/
>
> (i686 packages are lagging behind at the moment)
>
> BIG SCARY NOTE: Due to the kmod changes, this will BREAK all module
> tools for users with their own kernels. If you do not rebuild your
> kernel after pulling in the new kmod, you're going to have a bad time.
> See the paste link above for inspiration.
>
> Cheers!
> Dave

This is all complete, and is slowly moving into [testing] over the next
half hour or so. Final rebuild list looks like this:

kmod
linux
linux-lts
bash-completion
fcpci
fcpcmcia
nvidia
nvidia-lts
lirc

cdfs
ndiswrapper
r8168
r8168-lts
rt3562sta
vhba-module
virtualbox-modules
virtualbox-modules-lts

open-vm-tools-modules is a pain in the butt and has NOT been rebuilt
yet. I'll get to this tonight but just a heads up that there will be
some sort of a lag period before this is updated.

Again, please heed the warning from my original message if you're a
custom kernel user. If you can't immediately rebuild your kernel, a
quick *temporary* solution is to either move the module dir yourself or
symlink /usr/lib/modules back to /lib/modules. This *must* be done in
the near future (ominous!).

cheers,
Dave