[arch-dev-public] [ANNOUNCE] initscripts-2012.07.3

Ionut Biru ibiru at archlinux.org
Sat Jul 21 18:09:19 EDT 2012

On 07/22/2012 01:01 AM, Tom Gundersen wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 21, 2012 at 11:28 PM, Ionut Biru <ibiru at archlinux.org> wrote:
>> I pretty much hate everything you have described here.
>> We started from a simple and elegant, single file configuration to over
>> 9k
>
> Before rejecting everything, please explain why the problems I
> outlined are not real?
>
>> (not to mention that i have no freaking idea which one to edit)
>
> I now added a comment to the standard rc.conf with pointers to all the
> files you could possibly want to edit.
>
>> Bring back the old rc.conf until we are switching to systemd or even
>> better, kill initscripts right now and lets move to systemd.
>>
>> I don't like the transition, we are in the middle and it's frustrating.
>
> You can keep your old rc.conf, you can even use an old rc.conf when
> you setup a new system. Everything is clearly (I hope!) documented in
> the manpage. The only thing that changed was the defaults and the
> recommendations.
>
> Forcing or not everyone to use systemd does not really change
> anything. At this stage both initscripts and systemd should support
> exactly the same config files.
>
> I'm happy to revert specific things based on detailed technical
> feedback, but please make the effort to at least understand the issues
> before shooting down everything.

For one, I don't understand the logic behind.

The only logic i can see is that you want to force existing users to
move to this "awesome" configurations schema but in the same time you
say "don't do it because your old rc.conf still works"

You won't make me do this kind of transition to move to systemd
compatibility.

--
Ionuț