[arch-dev-public] [ANNOUNCE] initscripts-2012.07.3

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Sat Jul 21 18:47:10 EDT 2012

On Sun, Jul 22, 2012 at 12:09 AM, Ionut Biru <ibiru at archlinux.org> wrote:
> The only logic i can see is that you want to force existing users to
> move to this "awesome" configurations schema but in the same time you
> say "don't do it because your old rc.conf still works"

I want to give the best possible advice to new users, and I want to
alert current users to possible problems. I don't want to force anyone
to do anything. All that changed was the default file and the advice
given in the manpage, no functionality was or will be dropped.

I'm not insisting that the new rc.conf must be exactly like the one in
testing, but please give arguments on a case-by-case basis, and if you
suggest adding back variables that I have strongly recommended against
please argue why my recommendations are wrong.

> You won't make me do this kind of transition to move to systemd
> compatibility.

Ok. Then don't. We are committed to support all current and previous
options forever (and if we can't we will alert users to this).

-t