[arch-dev-public] New install iso - proof of concept

Dieter Plaetinck dieter at plaetinck.be
Mon Jun 25 06:14:18 EDT 2012

On Mon, 25 Jun 2012 10:30:47 +0200
Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org> wrote:

> Am 23.06.2012 21:14, schrieb Pierre Schmitz:
> > * We should treat the iso more like our other package and not aim for
> > the most perfect product. Instead let's release new isos regularly; e.g.
> > every month.
>
> I've been saying that for a long time, but Dieter always wanted to test
> more thoroughly. ArchISO is a solid base for a live system and can be
> booted in numerous different ways, which is all I personally care about.
>
> All it takes is to move one of the automatic test builds
> (https://releng.archlinux.org/isos/) to the mirrors and let them sync

I just think that we should test all features that we officially support.
That's basically all it comes down to.
If we support any installer (whether it is aif or Dave's scripts), than we should make sure that
it works for every release.
Booting an installation medium and finding out that a feature is broken is much more painful than
using an outdated iso which gives you a system that needs manual intervention on update.

If we don't have the manpower to be able to do that (as is the case now),
we can just support less things (like, don't officially support aif as long as there's no manpower to maintain and test it)
that will allow us to release more often and with less testing.