[arch-dev-public] fmodex

Stéphane Gaudreault stephane at archlinux.org
Tue Nov 20 09:35:55 EST 2012

Le 2012-11-20 09:14, Sven-Hendrik Haase a écrit :
> On 20.11.2012 15:12, Stéphane Gaudreault wrote:
>> I just noticed that we have fmodex (a proprietary audio library) in
>> [community]. Considering the discussion we had recently about steam, I
>> think that the situation is similar here. The "FMOD Non-Commercial
>> License" does not explicitely allow redistribution and allow only
>> non-commercial use [1]. In the svn repository, there is a PERMISSION
>> file [2], but it looks quite imprecise to me.
>>
>> I am not very good in legal stuff, but I think that we need a more
>> formal permission to redistribute a possibly modified version of this
>> package and to make sure they won't sue us because of the
>> "non-commercial" specification.
>>
>> Stéphane
>>
>> [1] http://www.fmod.org/fmod-sales.html
>> [2]
>> https://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit/community.git/tree/trunk/PERMISSION?h=packages/fmodex
>>

> The CEO himself answered me there. Isn't that official enough?

The answer is just

----
Hi Sven,
sounds ok to me.
regards,
----

The sentence "sound ok to me" is vague. What about patching the header
filesfor example ? For the moment, fmod does not seems to be used by
another package, but what can be linked (or not) with it in our repository ?

"This license cannot be used for titles which do not make profit but are
still commercially released"

My understanding is that we need to be careful of not linking it with
something that is commercialy released, even if it is GPL.

Stéphane