[arch-dev-public] [RFC] btrfs multi-device support in pre-3.6 kernels

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Tue Oct 2 19:30:49 EDT 2012

Hi guys,

With systemd-193 and linux-3.6 we will finally have reliable support
for btrfs multi-device filesystems (assembling them used to be racy).

However, the added udev rules that makes this work do not work at all
on pre-3.6 kernels. We could keep the old (racey) rules in the btrfs
package to deal with this situation. However, that means scanning all
btrfs devices twice on boot  for everyone on post-3.6 kernels. As I
expect the number of people using multi-device btrfs (which is still
experimental) with an linux-lts kernel to be limited, I'm not too keen
on optimizing for this case.

I propose we either just drop the old btrfs rules and tell users of
linux-lts+btrfs multi-device to upgrade to linux, or we add the rules
to the linux-lts package.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Tom