[arch-dev-public] Unannounced mass edit of community PKGBUILDs

Alexander Rødseth rodseth at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 07:39:51 EDT 2012

Hello,

First of all, sorry for not communicating this before making the
changes. I honestly thought this would be considered to be such a
minor change and such a minor issue (even though it affects many
packages), that it would not be worth communicating first. If I had
been aware of previous cases where similar changes were made (by a
script), and the changes were communicated first, I would have
attempted to follow the example of those.

Secondly, this change did not cause any technical problems. There was
one case where the description was broken (0.0004% of all affected
packages), thanks Gaetan Bisson for pointing it out.
As far as I know, that was the exception to the rule (and the package
would still build), but any bug is inexcusable, of course.

When it comes to double vs single quoting, can we change
PKGBUILD.proto to use single quotes? The character '$' only occurs in
the package description in 3 of the community packages, and those 3
can still use double quotes.

All that aside, would it be okay for you all if I removed "An ...", "A
..." and "Application is ..." from the start of all package
descriptions (and making the first letter an uppercase letter)? This
adds no information to the description and (IMO) looks ugly. Just this
change, no changes to indentation, trailing periods or quoting?

Thanks for your understanding. May any distressed individuals find it
in their hearts to let go of the outrage and search innner peace and
ponies.

--
Sincerely,
 Alexander Rødseth