[arch-dev-public] Unannounced mass edit of community PKGBUILDs

Sébastien Luttringer seblu at seblu.net
Thu Oct 25 06:46:09 EDT 2012

On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 12:29 PM, Gaetan Bisson <bisson at archlinux.org> wrote:
> [2012-10-25 10:07:09 +0300] Evangelos Foutras:
>> I noticed that all of my community packages were modified by r78782 [1]
>> (Full pkgdesc cleanup for 2339 packages).
>
> Being a fierce proponent of single quotes myself, your message gave me
> the impression that those changes were sane and that you were just
> pissed by the lack of communication.
>
> Now that I noticed one of my packages was affected too:
> - I am outraged by the lack of communication! :D
> - I am appalled by how moronic the script was.
>
> On liboping's PKGBUILD:
>> -pkgdesc='C library to generate ICMP echo requests, better known as "ping packets"'
>> +pkgdesc='Ping packets'

Add an letter.
-pkgdesc='Daemon for delivering ACPI power management events with
netlink support'
+pkgdesc='A daemon for delivering ACPI power management events with
netlink support'

Add a dot (but not for others)
-pkgdesc='Minimalistic user-space library oriented to Netlink developers'
+pkgdesc='Minimalistic user-space library oriented to Netlink developers.'

Removing first capital letter
-pkgdesc='Top-like interface to netfilter connection-tracking table'
+pkgdesc='top-like interface to netfilter connection-tracking table'

I believe this start by a good will but updates are not obvious. A
mail asking to maintainers to review your update patch have dragged
all this.

Cheers,

--
Sébastien "Seblu" Luttringer