[arch-dev-public] Unannounced mass edit of community PKGBUILDs

Angel Velásquez angvp at archlinux.org
Mon Oct 29 11:42:31 EDT 2012

On 29/10/12 12:32, Alexander Rødseth wrote:
> Hi Xyne,

Hi Xyne, Alexander, Evangelos and the rest of the gang.

> 2012/10/27 Xyne <xyne at archlinux.ca>:
>> Of course the PKGBUILDs and everything else in the repos belong
>> to Arch, not each individual packager. I didn't mean that it was
>> disrespectful in the sense of encroaching on others' "property".
>> I meant that it was disrespectful in the sense that you concluded
>> that most of the other packagers were producing substandard
>> packages and that you needed to help them do it right.
> Let me quote the Arch Packaging Guidelines [1]: When creating a
> package description for a package, do not include the package name
> in a self-referencing way. For example, "Nedit is a text editor for
> X11" could be simplified to "A text editor for X11".
> And the DeveloperWiki:Bash Coding Style page [2]: Use single quotes
> if a string does not contain parseable content.
> These are not policies and guidelines that have originated from my
> own head, from belief in my own superiority nor out of any
> disrespect. If you think otherwise, you're wrong.
> I wanted to implement lots of small changes, that people otherwise
> won't bother with, that are in compliance with the current
> guidelines.
> I am having a hard time believing you find this to be
> disrespectful.

I understand the "angry" of the effect of this, but I think
Alexander's mistake was not to tell us his idea and apply it by his
own (as many other people said).

Enough discussion about this, he do had good intentions, he do
apologize with us, so let's move on.

I support the idea of do a planning examining the results of
Alexander's tool in order to clean a little bit some of our packages,
but with planning and awareness about what will be done.

Please let's advance with this.

Version: GnuPG v2.0.19 (GNU/Linux)