[arch-dev-public] [RFC] The path to lua 5.2

Sébastien Luttringer seblu at seblu.net
Tue Sep 18 17:18:04 EDT 2012

On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 1:20 PM, Stéphane Gaudreault
<stephane at archlinux.org> wrote:
> Le 2012-09-13 16:19, Sébastien Luttringer a écrit :
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Version 5.2 of lua is out since December 2011 [1] and last update
>> since June 2012.
>>
>> I suggest[2] to update our current lua package to 5.2.1 and introduce
>> a new package lua51.
>> As we need to rebuild and update dependencies of some packages, we can
>> benefits to adopt a clean naming (like for python) for lua libraries
>> like
>> - lua-lfs for lua 5.2 version, where "lfs" is the name in the lua require.
>> - lua51-lfs for 5.1 version.
>> for current package lua-filesystem.
>>
>> Example:
>> pkgbase=luafilsystem
>> pkgname=(lua-lfs lua-lfs51)
>>
>> The goal is to drop lua51* package once all package will only needs lua
>> 5.2.
>>
>> I currently have a lua (v5.2.1) and lua51 (v5.1.5) packages on my
>> computer which works correctly.
>>
>> The following packages are out of my hands:
>> seblu at brynhild ~ $ for i in extra testing; do sogrep $i lua.so; done
>> celestia
>> gnuplot
>> graphviz
>> gvim
>> lighttpd
>> nmap
>> pdns-recursor
>> rrdtool
>> vlc
>> weechat
>> wireshark-cli
>>
>> seblu at brynhild ~ $ for i in community community-testing ; do sogrep $i
>> lua.so; done
>> awesome
>> btanks
>> cegui
>> edje-svn
>> electricsheep
>> elinks
>> fillets-ng
>> geany-plugins
>> grafx2
>> hedgewars
>> highlight
>> highlight-gui
>> libquvi
>> luabind
>> lua-zlib
>> megaglest
>> notion
>> stone-soup
>> task
>> widelands
>> xmoto
>> widelands
>>
>> As there is not so many packages to update in community, I can do it
>> myself. I need some helps for those in extra/core.
>>
>> Comments? Objections?
>>
>> [1] http://www.lua.org/versions.html#5.2
>> [2] I'm not a lua expert, I use it only with awesome, so please tell
>> me if you see something bad.
>>
> Before looking at the package names, I would like  to see the list of
> packages that are not compatible (no patch available). For packages in this
> list, it could be interesting to look if upstream devs are still active and
> [...]

I started to build a list for lua library which are compatible to lua5.2:
- luaposix
- luabitop
- lua-zlib
- luaexpat
- luajit
- luasql (luasql-mysql)

Otherwise:
- luabind (no yet)
- lualogging (no yet)
- luakit (no yet)
- luafilesystem [1]
- luasocket [2]
- luasec (no yet)
- luarocks (in progress [3])

It's a bit longer for all packages and I will need help from maintainer.

Do you think using the name of the library in filesystem instead of
project name is a good idea? e.g: lua-lfs instead of lua-filesystem.

[1] https://github.com/keplerproject/luafilesystem/commit/f634765b26c52d03aceed88c2130130ab43f6fa9
[2] http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12040601/is-there-a-lua-socket-library-compatibile-with-lua-5-2-1
[3] https://github.com/keplerproject/luarocks/commit/37aded056fae788088855b36281b1d23b0131fdb

--