[arch-dev-public] [RFC] The path to lua 5.2

Sébastien Luttringer seblu at seblu.net
Tue Sep 18 17:54:52 EDT 2012

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 11:18 PM, Sébastien Luttringer <seblu at seblu.net> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 1:20 PM, Stéphane Gaudreault
> <stephane at archlinux.org> wrote:
>> Le 2012-09-13 16:19, Sébastien Luttringer a écrit :
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Version 5.2 of lua is out since December 2011 [1] and last update
>>> since June 2012.
>>>
>>> I suggest[2] to update our current lua package to 5.2.1 and introduce
>>> a new package lua51.
>>> As we need to rebuild and update dependencies of some packages, we can
>>> benefits to adopt a clean naming (like for python) for lua libraries
>>> like
>>> - lua-lfs for lua 5.2 version, where "lfs" is the name in the lua require.
>>> - lua51-lfs for 5.1 version.
>>> for current package lua-filesystem.
>>>
>>> Example:
>>> pkgbase=luafilsystem
>>> pkgname=(lua-lfs lua-lfs51)
>>>
>>> The goal is to drop lua51* package once all package will only needs lua
>>> 5.2.
>>>
>>> I currently have a lua (v5.2.1) and lua51 (v5.1.5) packages on my
>>> computer which works correctly.
>>>
>>> The following packages are out of my hands:
>>> seblu at brynhild ~ $ for i in extra testing; do sogrep $i lua.so; done
>>> celestia
>>> gnuplot
>>> graphviz
>>> gvim
>>> lighttpd
>>> nmap
>>> pdns-recursor
>>> rrdtool
>>> vlc
>>> weechat
>>> wireshark-cli
>>>
>>> seblu at brynhild ~ $ for i in community community-testing ; do sogrep $i
>>> lua.so; done
>>> awesome
>>> btanks
>>> cegui
>>> edje-svn
>>> electricsheep
>>> elinks
>>> fillets-ng
>>> geany-plugins
>>> grafx2
>>> hedgewars
>>> highlight
>>> highlight-gui
>>> libquvi
>>> luabind
>>> lua-zlib
>>> megaglest
>>> notion
>>> stone-soup
>>> task
>>> widelands
>>> xmoto
>>> widelands
>>>
>>> As there is not so many packages to update in community, I can do it
>>> myself. I need some helps for those in extra/core.
>>>
>>> Comments? Objections?
>>>
>>> [1] http://www.lua.org/versions.html#5.2
>>> [2] I'm not a lua expert, I use it only with awesome, so please tell
>>> me if you see something bad.
>>>
>> Before looking at the package names, I would like  to see the list of
>> packages that are not compatible (no patch available). For packages in this
>> list, it could be interesting to look if upstream devs are still active and
>> if they have plans to move to 5.2. If not, we could simply drop them or
>> rebuild them without lua support when possible.
>
> I started to build a list for lua library which are compatible to lua5.2:
> - luaposix
> - luabitop
> - lua-zlib
> - luaexpat
> - luajit
> - luasql (luasql-mysql)
>
> Otherwise:
> - luabind (no yet)
> - lualogging (no yet)
> - luakit (no yet)
> - luafilesystem [1]
> - luasocket [2]
> - luasec (no yet)
> - luarocks (in progress [3])
>
> It's a bit longer for all packages and I will need help from maintainer.
>
> Do you think using the name of the library in filesystem instead of
> project name is a good idea? e.g: lua-lfs instead of lua-filesystem.
>
> [1] https://github.com/keplerproject/luafilesystem/commit/f634765b26c52d03aceed88c2130130ab43f6fa9
> [2] http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12040601/is-there-a-lua-socket-library-compatibile-with-lua-5-2-1
> [3] https://github.com/keplerproject/luarocks/commit/37aded056fae788088855b36281b1d23b0131fdb

Here is an updated list of packages which need to be bumped. Built
from 3 search.
- expac -S %N lua|tr " " "\n"|grep -v ^$
- pkgfile -isd /usr/lib/lua/|cut -f 2 -d /
- for i in core extra testing community community-testing ; do sogrep
$i lua.so; done

http://pastebin.com/3siLkB34

It's about 50 packages.

--