[arch-dev-public] Nginx

Pierre Schmitz pierre at archlinux.de
Fri Aug 2 02:41:58 EDT 2013

Am 01.08.2013 22:59, schrieb Sébastien Luttringer:
> Externals modules are not often updated (e.g: auth-pam 11/2010,
> upstream-fair: 4/2012). Furthermore, there is no install-time
> dependencies added by passenger or the previous others external.
>
> Taking this in consideration, there is probably no need to split nginx
> and we can have only one package and update it when it's necessary.

The PKGBUILD looks strange, but I guess you already noticed that. The
nginx-extra package is identical to the nginx package except its
dependencies. Just use optdepends here if needed.

But more important please don't add random third party patches/modules
and keep the package vanilla. There are good reasons we have the "don't
patch" policy. They can break on nginx updates, introduce new issues
etc.; esp. since they are built-in. There might be very good reasons why
these modules are not included in the upstream distribution.

So in short: Don't split nor patch and keep the package as vanilla as
possible.

People can easily build their own if they need special "modules" or
patches.

Greetings,

Pierre