[arch-dev-public] Nginx

Pierre Schmitz pierre at archlinux.de
Fri Aug 2 08:55:29 EDT 2013

Am 02.08.2013 14:14, schrieb Bartłomiej Piotrowski:
> On 2013-08-02 08:41, Pierre Schmitz wrote:
>> But more important please don't add random third party patches/modules
>> and keep the package vanilla. There are good reasons we have the "don't
>> patch" policy. They can break on nginx updates, introduce new issues
>> etc.; esp. since they are built-in. There might be very good reasons why
>> these modules are not included in the upstream distribution.
>
> But the main point is to create separate nginx package with third party
> modules. Now we ship nginx with Passenger module and I have to rebuild
> nginx every time the latter has been upgraded.
>
> If we would create nginx-3rdparty, we could move Passenger and add other
> external modules by the way.

First, I have to apologize; I thought the nginx package would also have
these external "modules". I missed that you build two copies in the
build function.

If you abuse the split package this way, you still have to rebuild and
publish both split packages if e.g. the passenger module requires a
rebuild.

In general I am not sure if there is a sane way to package these build
time modules. It would be impossible to cover all the combinations and
external "modules" a user might want. Is it a good idea to provide a
separate package that has all kinds of different modules built in?
Probably not. And people who need certain non-standard modules are
better off compiling their own package.

I would probably provide a vanilla package with sensible defaults and
make it easy for people to extend on that.

Greetings,

Pierre