[arch-dev-public] Nginx

Pierre Schmitz pierre at archlinux.de
Fri Aug 2 10:59:27 EDT 2013

Am 02.08.2013 15:38, schrieb Sébastien Luttringer:
>> In general I am not sure if there is a sane way to package these build
>> time modules. It would be impossible to cover all the combinations and
>> external "modules" a user might want. Is it a good idea to provide a
>> separate package that has all kinds of different modules built in?
> There is  no perfect solution with build time modules. It's broken by design.

Does anybody know why the devs don't want or implemented modules than
can be loaded at runtime?

>> Probably not. And people who need certain non-standard modules are
>> better off compiling their own package.
>>
>> I would probably provide a vanilla package with sensible defaults and
>> make it easy for people to extend on that.
> So, I think we'll rollback to one package co-maintained by Bartholomej and me,
> with interesting optional modules and auth-pam (I use it).
> Nothing should block a nginx update, so if auth-pam is incompatible,
> it will be dropped.
>
> Passenger external module will be dropped as it causes too frequent rebuild.

I'd say better drop all third-party modules even if you use it yourself.
I don't see why this should be an exception on the contrary: it was not
merged upstream and it was last updated in 2010. And dropping it in case
of an issue also introduces unexpected regressions for those users who
started using it.

So my recommendation would still be to keep at least the nginx package
minimal and vanilla.

Greetings,

Pierre