[arch-dev-public] [RFC] preparing dbus for coexistence with kdbus

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Sun Dec 1 13:05:31 EST 2013

Hi guys,

Work on kdbus is nearing completion (of a first version at least) and
it will soon be submitted upstream. We will also soon have a 'bridge'
in systemd between the old libdbus and kdbus. This bridge will
conflict with the old dbus daemon, but libdbus will still be around
for a long time.

All of this stuff is very much still under development, and the
details are not clear yet. However, to make it simpler for Arch users
to help out with the testing and development of kdbus and its systemd
counterpart, I'd like to propose the following:

 * split 'dbus' into 'dbus' and 'libdbus'
 * make dbus depend on libdbus
 * other packages will still depend on dbus, rather than libdbus directly.

For the regular users, this should have no effect, but for people
building and testing systemd/kdbus it means they can still stick with
our stock libdbus rather than building their own. At some point in the
future, I expect this will be beneficial to all, as we will likely
drop the dbus and just keep libdbus around.

Thoughts?

Cheers,

Tom