[arch-dev-public] [RFC] preparing dbus for coexistence with kdbus

Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi vmlinuz386 at yahoo.com.ar
Sun Dec 1 19:36:20 EST 2013

On 12/01/2013 03:05 PM, Tom Gundersen wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Work on kdbus is nearing completion (of a first version at least) and
> it will soon be submitted upstream. We will also soon have a 'bridge'
> in systemd between the old libdbus and kdbus. This bridge will
> conflict with the old dbus daemon, but libdbus will still be around
> for a long time.
>
> All of this stuff is very much still under development, and the
> details are not clear yet. However, to make it simpler for Arch users
> to help out with the testing and development of kdbus and its systemd
> counterpart, I'd like to propose the following:
>
>  * split 'dbus' into 'dbus' and 'libdbus'
>  * make dbus depend on libdbus
>  * other packages will still depend on dbus, rather than libdbus directly.
>
> For the regular users, this should have no effect, but for people
> building and testing systemd/kdbus it means they can still stick with
> our stock libdbus rather than building their own. At some point in the
> future, I expect this will be beneficial to all, as we will likely
> drop the dbus and just keep libdbus around.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tom

Hola!

Nice. I read that kdbus is only enabled in tarball build if you want,
(so the support is optional at least for now)

Maybe I am wrong, just guessing, but since our LTS kernel will not
include kdbus, this implies that we have two systemd packages, one for
standard kernel and other for lts kernel?

Good luck!

--
Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi
\cos^2\alpha + \sin^2\alpha = 1