[arch-dev-public] [RFC] preparing dbus for coexistence with kdbus

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Mon Dec 2 05:20:49 EST 2013

On Mon, Dec 2, 2013 at 1:36 AM, Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi
<vmlinuz386 at yahoo.com.ar> wrote:
> On 12/01/2013 03:05 PM, Tom Gundersen wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> Work on kdbus is nearing completion (of a first version at least) and
>> it will soon be submitted upstream. We will also soon have a 'bridge'
>> in systemd between the old libdbus and kdbus. This bridge will
>> conflict with the old dbus daemon, but libdbus will still be around
>> for a long time.
>>
>> All of this stuff is very much still under development, and the
>> details are not clear yet. However, to make it simpler for Arch users
>> to help out with the testing and development of kdbus and its systemd
>> counterpart, I'd like to propose the following:
>>
>>  * split 'dbus' into 'dbus' and 'libdbus'
>>  * make dbus depend on libdbus
>>  * other packages will still depend on dbus, rather than libdbus directly.
>>
>> For the regular users, this should have no effect, but for people
>> building and testing systemd/kdbus it means they can still stick with
>> our stock libdbus rather than building their own. At some point in the
>> future, I expect this will be beneficial to all, as we will likely
>> drop the dbus and just keep libdbus around.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Tom
>>

> Hola!
>
> Nice. I read that kdbus is only enabled in tarball build if you want,
> (so the support is optional at least for now)
>
> Maybe I am wrong, just guessing, but since our LTS kernel will not
> include kdbus, this implies that we have two systemd packages, one for
> standard kernel and other for lts kernel?

It will still be a long time before this is enabled in a released
version, and probably longer still before it will be required. I
expect that when the time comes both our LTS and standard kernels will
have kdbus support (it is just a module, backporting should be easy).

Cheers,

Tom