[arch-dev-public] Fwd: The Final Cleanup

Lukas Jirkovsky l.jirkovsky at gmail.com
Sat Dec 7 14:51:58 EST 2013

On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 6:20 PM, Alexander Rødseth <rodseth at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> This is the current situation:

You already know my opinion on this, but for the record I sum it up here, too:

* I'm against forcing everyone to generate desktop files (or removing
them, I saw that someone mentioning that, too). The maintainers should
decide if they want to auto generate files using gendesk (or whatever
tool surfaces) or ship their own.
* I'm all for pushing the desktop files upstream. We should contact
upstream of packages marked as "Not Done" in the FS#23387 and try to
convince them to provide desktop files. If they provide such file, use
that. If they reject it for some reason, or the upstream is dead/not
responding, move the package to the appropriate list and continue
providing desktop file (doesn't matter if auto-generated or
hand-written).

Lukas