[arch-dev-public] [arch-general] The Final Cleanup

Gaetan Bisson bisson at archlinux.org
Sun Dec 8 12:36:33 EST 2013

[2013-12-06 21:33:26 +0100] Alexander Rødseth:
> not by putting easily generated .desktop files into
> our repos.

I was not sure how gendesk worked, but I just happened to look at:

	https://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit/community.git/commit/trunk?h=packages/sage-mathematics&id=9f9f8ece88f8c0ab588e9bf36592bedbf7c68289

It seems gendesk requires as argument most of what used to be the
content of the desktop file itself. So I fail to see the gain, because:
- those arguments are not much shorter than the desktop file itself
- this relies on a tool to do what can be done just as easily by hand
- this adds more complexity to the prepare() function
- this adds an extra makedepends

Static desktop files appear to be a much better option.

--
Gaetan