[arch-dev-public] Toolchain changes

Dave Reisner d at falconindy.com
Tue Jan 22 15:29:26 EST 2013

On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 3:22 PM, Christian Hesse <list at eworm.de> wrote:

> Dave Reisner <d at falconindy.com> on Tue, 2013/01/22 13:31:
> > On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 1:22 AM, Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org>
> wrote:
> > > In my ongoing quest to bring packages to being as vanilla as possible,
> > > have made some adjustments to the toolchain.  These are nothing that
> > > anybody should notice, but I though it worth a post here.
> > > [...]
> >
> > And much harder for people who have already decided to play around with
> > /bin as a symlink. This all broke me pretty hard because I tried to
> upgrade
> > glibc by itself (I necessarily needed a different package which doesn't
> > have "duplicate" ldconfig files in it). My own fault, of course, but it
> > should be noted that anyone else could potentially run into this if glibc
> > isn't upgraded at the same time as the filesystem package.
> >
> > Oh well, at least I'll be home tonight to fix it.
>
> You can fix it if you are still logged in. Something like the following
> should make the system happy again:
>
> $ LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libc.so.6 /usr/bin/ln -s usr/lib /lib
>
> After that update filesystem package with force option to overwrite the
> symlink:
>
> $ pacman -Sf filesystem
>
> Good luck! ;)

I have no /lib and no /lib64, and therefore, no available linker. You can
LD_PRELOAD whatever you want -- the linker is never going to be invoked to
read this variable. I have no root shell to call the linker directly and
therefore have no fallback but to reboot and fix this from the initramfs.
And no, sudo and su won't work either because their setuid bits are
meaningless when they're called indirectly.