[arch-dev-public] Drop VI from [core] (was Re: [arch-general] Winter Cleanup of [community])

Rashif Ray Rahman schiv at archlinux.org
Thu Jan 24 12:19:31 EST 2013

On 25 January 2013 00:05, Stéphane Gaudreault <stephane at archlinux.org>wrote:

> Le 2013-01-24 07:21, Allan McRae a écrit :
>
>> On 24/01/13 22:08, Alexander Rødseth wrote:
>>
>>> === [core] ===
>>>
>>> For [core], there are two uneeded orphans, that also aren't make
>>> dependencies for any other [core] packages:
>>>
>>> openldap
>>> vi
>>>
>>> If I may be so bold, maybe vim or another editor (still providing the
>>> "vi" command) could take over for the vi package?
>>>
>> I agree with just dumping vi and moving [vim] to core...  But we can not
>> put split packages across repos and gvim and deps are not going there so
>> that is a no...
>>

> Moving to another thread for clarity.
>
> +1 to drop vi. I cannot imagine why someone would want to use this crap ...
>
> We already have nano in [core], so I think that vim could stay in [extra]
> (do we really need 2 text editors in [core] ?).
>
> Stéphane

We do need something vi-like besides nano. We need all the text power we
can get because our installation is text-based. Most people are satisfied
with nano, including myself (I spend very little time mucking around), but
there are equally as many users who actually need the couple extra features
during system setup and configuration. So we have to provide an alternative
if we're gonna drop vi, IMO.

--
GPG/PGP ID: C0711BF1