[arch-dev-public] Silent removal of initscripts?

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 10:46:16 EST 2013

I know we posted a news item back in November about the deprecation of
old school rc.d scripts, but the current silent removal thing is not
real cool, and one never knows what package is going to fail to start
up next. Last week it was openvpn, today it appears samba has lost its
script.

We should post a news item saying "scripts are disappearing as of now,
please be aware", as any machine booted remotely gives absolutely zero
indication that some service startup failed until you try to actually
use the service. Also, rumor has it a community package exists to
catalog these old rc.d scripts once they are removed, but `pacman -Ss
initscripts` and `pacman -Ss rc.d` found me nothing. Giving our users
(and hell, other developers) at least a bit of heads up would be
awesome here.

Thanks,
-Dan