[arch-dev-public] Silent removal of initscripts?

Pierre Schmitz pierre at archlinux.de
Mon Jan 28 11:09:50 EST 2013

Am 28.01.2013 16:46, schrieb Dan McGee:
> I know we posted a news item back in November about the deprecation of
> old school rc.d scripts, but the current silent removal thing is not
> real cool, and one never knows what package is going to fail to start
> up next. Last week it was openvpn, today it appears samba has lost its
> script.
>
> We should post a news item saying "scripts are disappearing as of now,
> please be aware", as any machine booted remotely gives absolutely zero
> indication that some service startup failed until you try to actually
> use the service. Also, rumor has it a community package exists to
> catalog these old rc.d scripts once they are removed, but `pacman -Ss
> initscripts` and `pacman -Ss rc.d` found me nothing. Giving our users
> (and hell, other developers) at least a bit of heads up would be
> awesome here.

Sure, we could post a news item that people need to migrate to systemd
right now. But on the other hand we already did this:
https://www.archlinux.org/news/end-of-initscripts-support/ It also
clearly stated that support will be removed without any further notice.
Those who are caught by this didn't do their sysadmin's homework anyway
(e.g. reading news posts) Anyway, if anybody wants to put up a last
reminder that might be a good idea.

I also did remove initscripts support from all my packages including
devtools and logrotate scripts which call systemctl now.

Greetings,

Pierre